Saturday, July 7, 2012

An afternoon in Vernazza




I took a little solo trip to Vernazza this afternoon. I'm starting to get better with understanding the train schedule and ticketing system. Today I hit things just right. I arrived at the stations just before the trains did so I didn't have to wait around for very long.

Vernazza was hit with a tremendous mudslide this year. There was a lot of damage and I believe some deaths. I didn't know what to expect when I got there. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. While a number of the shops were closed and being repaired, some were open. I left the train station and started down toward town and the harbor.



Once you reach the harbor it's easy to see why so many tourists love this area. The water looks so refreshing in the heat and the waves create a nice mist as they crash into the rocks. There were lots of swimmers and sun bathers. I took some time in the shops and enjoyed the sights and sounds before grabbing a calzone and gelato. After my snack, I headed back up to the train station.

While there is a 90 minute hike between Manarola and Vernazza, I just didn't feel like getting that tired and sweaty when I already had train tickets left from yesterday. So I took the easy way. Tomorrow we're off to Florence, so a little extra rest might do me well.

















No comments: